VFD installation for HF-spindles

bijv, kress en proxxon enz maar ook de echt dure watergekoelde (of niet) spindels kunnen hier terecht

Moderator: Moderators

Plaats reactie
Schallbert
Contacteer:

VFD installation for HF-spindles

Bericht door Schallbert »

Hey Forum,

I recently upgraded from a 1000W Maffell motor to a 1.5kW Spinogy HF-Spindle. I am currently writing an in-depth documentation about this upgrade, and one article about testing the new system is already available on my tech blog: https://schallbert.de/testing-hardware/

Afbeelding

So if anyone of you guys is planning on upgrading his/her machine as well, you might find some helpful information. I'll write another post once I got more articles online.

Afbeelding

Cheers
Schallbert
Schallbert
Contacteer:

Re: VFD installation for HF-spindles

Hey Forum :)

I just finished the article on my spindle upgrade. It does not only contain a how-to-build, but also some arguments pro and con for an upgrade and background information about variable frequency drives (VFD) and spindle technical data that you might want to know before buying.

https://schallbert.de/projects-hardware ... e-upgrade/

I didn't yet manage to do the video editing for the accompanying media so that will be the content of a future post, but all the rest is prepared for you guys.

Afbeelding

Enjoy reading,
cheers
Schallbert
serum

Bericht door serum »

Nice upgrade Schallbert! Half an hour warm-up procedure.. My HSD requires less time. I refuse to buy a spindle that requires that huge amount of time. In my work i don't use the spindle for that long closed period of time, even with ATC. It's a dealbreaker for me wasting that amount of time before you can think about using it. :mrgreen:

This is the required warming-up for my 9kw HSD spindle; 5 minutes, perfectly acceptable. Hiteco uses 2 minutes 50%, 2 minutes 75% and 1 minute 90%.

50 % of the maximum rated speed for 2 minutes.
75 % of the maximum rated speed for 2 minutes.
100 % of the maximum rated speed for 1 minute.

My HQD ISO30 atc spindle doesn't require a warm-up, according to HQD, but i prefer to give it a slight swirl before hammering it. For light opps (drilling <6000rpm with <6mm drills) i don't bother to warm her up. It's an air forced cooled spindle, but i tamed down the 70W fan to a more suitable level (with a WOT above 29 degrees) I've used it two entire day off and on for some work last week, but the spindle was still lukewarm, well below 29 degrees even. (haven't used it above 14000rpm, cutting HMPE)
Schallbert
Contacteer:

Thanks!

Yeah, 30min is kind of a pain. Will feedback that to the manufacturer, maybe they are on the super-safe side there.
I have been at my CNC's company some weeks ago. They're using Teknomotor spindles a lot, and I didn't see them running warm-up routines at all... Maybe they just do grease distribution runs from time to time and that's it.

By the way, the spindle commissioning video is online
Watch on my blog here https://schallbert.de/projects-hardware ... mmisioning
Or directly on my Scitech channel https://scitech.video/w/7zMDwzq1E4q2apox7j3HT1

The stop-motion video for the VFD build takes much more time, I'll need another couple of weeks for the soundtrack before I can publish.

Cheers,
Schallbert
Schallbert
Contacteer:

Hey all,

finally I was able to compile a stop-motion video out of the images I took while assembling the switching cabinet for my new spindle:

https://scitech.video/w/4X4ZLPv3ojrBvNo1G5EGBd

I do give the spindle a 5min warmup run when I haven't used it for a while, but for my low-load applications with PMMA I don't see why a 30min warmup would be necessary. I checked with my CNC manufacturer. They also rarely do spindle warmups since they have long-running jobs that just go on "pause" over night. When resuming the next day, it's instant 100% load on them.

The thing that took longest in terms of manufacturing the switchbox was doing the wire harnessing for the spindle connector. It is really tricky to get the connector mounted, and cables and shield have to be at a very exact length to make it work. Obeying to the manual is mandatory here. On the other hand, now I can disconnect and reconnect the spindle within seconds (never had to do so, though) and the connection looks pretty nice.

Have fun watching!
hainjedaf
Donateur
Contacteer:

Bericht door hainjedaf »

Nice workshop and nice spindle.

Marco Reps did a video on that spindle on YT
Met vriendelijke groet,
Marout Sluijter-Borms,
Amsterdam

Prusa Mini+ Wifi & X1 Carbon met X1Plus
Sparren en tinkeren met iedereen en over alles wat techniek is.
Schallbert
Contacteer:

Thanks for the tip!

Didn't know Marco Reps before. That guy seems to be even more crazy than I am :lol:
His videos are great and the quality is outstanding.

Cheers
Schallbert
Plaats reactie